Universal Studios Japan 2019

A pretty spontaneous decision to travel to the Kansai area of Japan obviously meant another visit to Universal Studios. As with my last visit, I visited around the middle of the week (Thursday this time), to avoid the crowds.

Admission fees were slightly higher than before due to the recent tax increase, but still manageable given it wasn't the scheduled "peak" period. I paid ¥7,600 for the basic studio pass. The express passes were much more expensive than my last visit - I forked out ¥6,300 for the 3-ride express pass, which included Space Fantasy, The Flying Dinosaur and one of either Jaws, Backdraft or Jurassic Park. (In comparison, I paid ¥6,800 for the 4-ride express pass in May 2018).

I got to the park a bit earlier than last year, and it did seem to make a bit of a difference because I only waited about 15 minutes for my first ride versus almost 30 minutes last year. For the rest of the day, I managed to complete a good number of rides and even shows that I skipped on my previous visit, and my reactions and thoughts are below.

Note: the waiting times are what I experienced at each attraction, by clearing some rides either early in the morning or near closing time and monitoring the waiting time app to go to certain rides when the lines were more manageable.


Hogwarts Castle light up

Attractions I visited for the first time:


Space Fantasy: The Ride [x2] - Wait times: 5 minutes (Express) / 15 minutes
When I came last year, the ride had a temporary Final Fantasy makeover. The VR element was obviously really cool, but I realised that the original version is also just as fun. Instead of VR, the original ride is a spinning coaster with some really cool effects, kind of like Disney's Space Mountain but on steroids. Great fun! I went for this twice, and the lines weren't too long throughout the day. I guess this is one of the more underrated attractions in USJ, perhaps because it's not actually based on any movie franchise.

Backdraft - Wait time: 10 minutes
This is a special effects show that I feel is far superior to the similar attraction in Universal Singapore (Lights, Camera, Action) - the effects felt more intense than the USS version. There is also a longer pre-show segment which shows some behind-the-scenes footage of the filming of the movie Backdraft etc. Obviously this is absent in USS since that one isn't based on any film.

Terminator 2: 3D - Wait time: N/A - check show schedule; show + pre-show ~30 minutes
This is a pretty long show but I was surprised that it is actually a mix of 3D movie and some live-action with real actors, so it was a pleasant surprise, and the pre-show was also very entertaining.

Flight of the Hippogriff - Wait time: 25 minutes
It's a junior roller coaster but I decided to check it out anyway since I went in the morning when the line wasn't too bad (25 minutes). A very short ride, but I love the Harry Potter theming and soundtrack playing in the queue area.

Other rides:

Hollywood Dream (Backdrop) [x2] - Wait times: 15 minutes / 70 minutes
Once the crowds started to build, the waiting time for Backdrop hovered at around 60-80 minutes for the rest of the day. I only managed to take it one other time in the evening, waiting about 70 minutes or so to ride. The ride still felt as enjoyable as compared to my last visit.

Hollywood Dream - Wait time: 30 minutes (Single Rider)
On the other hand, my one time riding Hollywood Dream's front-facing train this time wasn't particularly memorable, perhaps also because I was sitting in the front row, unable to enjoy the more intense back-row experience.

The Flying Dinosaur [x2] - Wait time: 10 minutes (Express) / 30 minutes (Single Rider)
Did this twice as well, once using the Express and once on the Single Rider line. Not that I have taken that many roller coasters in my lifetime but this is currently one of my favourites. The intensity on the pretzel loop didn't feel as uncomfortable as last year, so I guess I've gotten used to that feeling. Waiting times here were also about 60-90 minutes throughout the day, so the Express pass definitely came in handy.

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey - Wait time: 10 minutes at end of day
The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man - Wait time: 5 minutes (Single Rider)
Despicable Me Minion Mayhem - Wait time: 30 minutes
Jurassic Park: The Ride - Wait time: 10 minutes
JAWS: Wait time: 5 minutes (Express)

Food

Also decided to check out the Three Broomsticks restaurant for a proper meal this time (I skipped lunch and only had snacks the last time). I had a very decent meal of roast chicken and sausages alongside a bowl of potato and leek soup. Again, enjoyed the ambience and background music (Harry Potter soundtrack of course). Prices weren't too exorbitant, with the set meal costing me ¥2,900 with a drink of pumpkin juice.

Overall Thoughts

Glad I got to try out some new stuff, like the original Space Fantasy, the Terminator show, and the food at Three Broomsticks. The park wasn't too crowded overall, so aside from the 70 minute wait for my second ride on Backdrop, I didn't really have to wait too long for any other ride.

The night parade wasn't on this time, but I got to see the Hogwarts Castle light-up and it was also pretty cool.

Popular posts from this blog

Fuji-Q Highland

Universal Studios Japan 2018